On the day of competition, before you enter the arena for your test, you must first go to Gear Check at least 10 mins prior to starting your test.
- You must hand in your Horse Health Declaration before your first test. It is best to hand your horse health declaration into gear check when you first arrive. Then you can ask if there have been any withdrawals from the schedule and you can ride earlier if you wish. You don’t have to, you may remain at the time stated on the draw.
- You must gear check before every test you ride. You go to gear check mounted.
- Withdrawals can change rider sequence: You must present to Gear Check 10mins prior to start of test. If there have been some withdrawals you may be asked if you wish to ride early.
- The Gear Check steward will let you know who is riding ahead of you and confirm which arena you will be riding in. For Club days riders can ride out of sequence of the draw – the flow of riders (no down time) for the Judges is an important factor.
- Riders must have a bridle number (on both sides of bridle or saddle Cloth) – this is a strict rule as Judges have no idea who they are judging if there is no number.
- Don’t let your support people/caller loiter in the gear check or warm up areas - get them to stand in the pedestrian areas.
Top points to observe before entering gear check
- You have an appropriate bridle & bit
- Your Helmet is up to Code and the chin strap is on tight
- Gloves on rider – you can loose marks if you do not have them on.
- Bridle Number on both sides of the horse (bridle or saddle cloth)
- No boots or bandages on horse
- Correct clothes on rider. Shirt of light colour.
- Length of whip – 1.2 for a horse and 1.0 for a pony. Your whip will be measured
- at gear check
- Appropriate saddle cloth - white
- No sign of blood or open wound
- No first aid dressings
- Correct spurs and length – spin rowels
- No extra tack ie martingales etc
- Bonnets / ear covers allowed – nose nets with prior approval of the ADC (or the OC on a Club day)
Gear Check will also confirm your name, horses name, the dressage test you are gear checking for, the arena you are riding in. Also, if the arena is running on time. Once the rider before you is walking out of the arena you should start walking up to the judge’s car to present yourself.
Dress, Saddlery and Equipment. Section 2 – Page 24 to 42
Important Rules you should know before competing. Dressage Events Section 3 Page 43 to 51
Eliminations and Penalties – Annex F page 157
- Withdrawals: If you cannot make it to the competition you must contact the number on the nomination and either ring or text you are withdrawing. If you are doing a critical job such as pencilling must either still make that commitment of find a replacement for you.
- Safety of Warm Up and Lungeing areas. Safety rules and warm up ring rules apply here. If someone is doing something unsafe, disruptive to another rider, standing and talking in the warm up arena or riding into other horses the grounds steward will step in.
- No lungeing a rider or lungeing a horse in an area that riders are warming up in. Lungeing is done in the provided lunge ring.
Need Help? Please email your questions - firstname.lastname@example.org